Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Episode 58 - Ti West Afterthoughts

Ti West is a challenging artist to discuss at times because his films do not shy away from taking their time and being stylized. Not quite art-house horror seems to turn some people off and it is a shame because there is some wonderful cinema in there to take in. Lacking dependency on traditional film-making, as a viewer, opens the door to so many wonderful films.

A perfect example is 2009’s House of the Devil. A film rich in suspense, throwback subject matter and visual presentation, understated acting, and excellent cinematography are just a few of the reasons I love this film. HOWEVER, when this movie is mentioned the frequent dismissive review is: “it’s a slow burn”. Which is my main point of this post as opposed to waxing West’s car some more (listen to the episode, there is plenty of praise).

The term “slow burn” is synonymous with “I get bored easily” or “I cannot focus on a film”. Since when, did we as fans or critics punish a filmmaker for making an intelligent movie? Yes, House of the Devil does not hit you over the head with gratuitous sex, nudity, violence, and partying; but it does deliver steadily throughout and I think that’s what has become frustrating with the opinions held by many of today’s movie-goers. I find great storytelling in movies (like this) where my own intelligence is assumed to be present for much of the storyline so that we can focus on the artistic needs of the film. I can deduce the elements of the plot that are being put out there without an explanation through dialogue, move along.

I was enamored with this film the first time I watched it and quite frankly still am. So I get a little exhausted defending against the sentiment of it being slow. Maybe the films aren’t always slow, maybe the viewers are. Put down your phone, leave your laptop in the other room, and get into the movie or just don’t bother “watching” it at all. Until next time…..


Beware the moon

The Professor  




No comments:

Post a Comment