Sunday, February 1, 2015

Episode 42 - The Monster Mash V Afterthoughts


These three films were an interesting combination as they were very different. Additionally they are a very good reason why the Mash format is effective (at least for me). The likelihood of me committing to actually watching any of these 3 would have remained slim. Maybe I would have watched The Blob for the legendary special effects but that is still a reach. So all in all I am happy to have watched all 3 films because of this show.

The Host illustrated how different people can watch films. One way is not better than another but you can look out our reactions to the film and see how differently it can happen. Maybe the fact that it's a foreign film helps paint the this reality of our viewing experiences? I saw a film with CG that I found distracting at times but was impressed with the humanistic approach that left viewers caring about the characters. As I recall, my cohorts seemed to have opinions much the opposite of these items. Neither of us are wrong, as it is our experience watching. I just found that interesting.

One thing I want to re-emphasize is the art contained in 1983's The Keep. It is a very flawed film that is not the easiest watch. But it is also many other things including ambitious, moody, surreal and most importantly interesting. It contains a fantastic soundtrack from Tangerine Dream (RIP to the recently deceased leader of the band Edgar Froese) as well which if nothing else makes it worth while. Add in that you have a notable list of young actors and Director all of whom will go on to blossoming careers. So if you see this one on a convention table next time, maybe this will have sparked your interest enough to check it out. 

Until next time...

Beware of the moon,
The Professor




No comments:

Post a Comment