Thursday, January 1, 2015

Episode 40 - Horror Comedy Afterthoughts


Something must get into the air when Vinny sits in with us because the two times he has appeared I have been utterly shocked with opinions voiced. Not that these opinions are of any less merit than my own, they just surprise me. If you recall the Werewolf episode, Vinny sat in with us. During this episode we learned that I was the only one of four at the microphones that truly liked The Howling. I still have not recovered. Well it happened again, as I am sure you know from listening. The Grizz just does not get much from Young Frankenstein. Oh man, I better move along because I am getting dizzy thinking about this all over again.

Horror-comedy.

 An interesting marriage of film genres that have more in common than we sometimes realize.. Gallows humor is largely the reason for making these films so great. By laughing in the face of something upsetting, stressful, or flat out scary we in turn as viewers become engaged in the film. Additionally this process makes us at times, attached to the funny characters in a horror film (although the guy in Friday the 13th Part 3 is an exception. I think we all wanted to see him go first, but I digress).My point is that by laughing a little it gives the viewer a chance to breath and absorb the intensity of many dark storylines. Something like An American Werewolf in London works so well because it entertains in a big way. It never goes too far into the laughs but it never turns away from the gruesome dark nature of its story.

The key to the magic is in the balancing act. Let me apologize in advance to Vinny and other Nightmare fans. Personally,as a viewer and fan, the Nightmare on Elm series was done after part 3. The two sequels already were dabbling more into the humor than the
horror and by 4 and beyond it was just a waste of a terrifying concept/character. I know many will vehemently disagree with me on this, but it is how I see them. Even as a youth I would quickly loose interest in a Freddy flick because there were too many distractions from the fear because of endless lowbrow puns. That balance was unfortunately too uneven for me to be taken seriously. Some of the most revered horror comedy films are quite aware of their identity and that is half the battle. Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein or Young Frankenstein certainly are more grounded in comedy and never try to actually be very scary. Shaun of the Dead stays right in the middle of the legit zombie films and British humor. It is why these films are great. Tell us what you think of Comedy-Horror films! Favorites?  Worst ones? DO you enjoy them in general?

Lastly, I would like to extend a huge thank you to Vinny and Brian for joining us. We had a wonderful time with them and hope you as listeners that you did also.

Be sure to check out their work at: https://www.facebook.com/freakhouseflicks

Until next time
Beware of the moon
The Professor







 





No comments:

Post a Comment