Friday, January 31, 2014

Episode 16 - Werewolves Afterthoughts

Werewolves are the reason you are reading these words I regularly type on here. As I have mentioned before, I saw my first horror movie at age 4. It was House of Frankenstein and I loved it for the storytelling it had, the scares, and most importantly the monsters. It had them all!
Nearing the end of the classic Universal horror era many of the films are known as the monster parade, because they just started throwing in everything but the kitchen sink. The Wolfman, just like with his victims, grabbed me and never let go. Since I have always enjoyed reading and learning about the lore of lycanthropy, seeing every werewolf movie I can, and most importantly impersonating the transformation process. I think I always have and always will feel some type of possibility for werewolves to be plausible regardless of logic. Do not judge me, its fun to wonder!

It was a lot of fun talking about these films but I was a little surprised by the lack of love for The Howling. I spoke up first to express my love for it and walked into a buzz saw with the other three. I never expected to get the reaction that we did from a group that is 75% werewolf fans. Let me clarify that all three of them know their movies so I am not diminishing the value of their words on this one. However, in my humble opinion, The Howling is one of the top werewolf
films of all time. Certainly it has its faults but it also has exceptional worth that is unfortunately (and at times unfairly) overlooked because of its inopportune release that we recognize now. The fact that it came out the same year as An American Werewolf in London has forever left it compared to it, but why? Why can we not like films as films, instead of ranking them every chance we have? I am just as guilty as others of this, but sometimes it can be excessive to where movies become discounted off of the grid. I believe that has happened here. If these two films had been released in different years, I steadfastly believe that The Howling would be remembered much more affectionately and with more clout, but I digress. I just wanted to throw this out there again because I want to hear from you all! Tell us what you think of these two films!

I will not spread this entry out because it is a topic that if I am going to dig deeper into, it will need a substantial treatment. This subject matter could be talked about for days, easily. Instead let’s keep it light as I list my top 5 all –time werewolf movies below. It is not based on technical reasoning or the typical criteria for ranking films. It is simply my own personal preferences for movies I will choose to put in my player when the moon calls me.


Honorable mention – Curse of the Werewolf – One of the scariest werewolf reveals ever. Unfortunately it is in the last segment of a movie that is pretty uneventful and hollow for an hour and a half. Try and stay awake for it, it is worth it!

5. Werewolf of London – Criminally overlooked because evidently he does not have enough hair on his face. I think he looks cool, and the performances are great.
4. The Howling – Fun, dark, surreal at times, and scary. Great special effects.
3. The Wolfman – A classic! Pioneered the genre.
2. An American Werewolf in London  - A movie that shows you that horror can be fun  and big entertainment also. Showcases the best practical special effects I have ever seen.
1.Silver Bullet – It has everything! Atmosphere, suspense, a standing aggressive werewolf, small town with great characters, endless quotes, a surprise killer, a badass motorized wheelchair, and most importantly, Gary Busey! Check out Stephen King’s Cycle of the Werewolf if you have not. Great illustrations, easy fun read.



Lastly, final business:

-Thank you for listening and checking in again with us. We certainly hope you enjoyed this edition with us diving into werewolves.

-Thanks also to Vinny for sitting in with us, it was our pleasure and we hope you will return for another show!

-Lastly, Mad Chann I am still not sure what you thought was directed at you when I mentioned film school, but it wasn’t. You know your movies, keep rocking…

Beware of the moon
The Professor



No comments:

Post a Comment