Friday, November 29, 2013

Episode 12 - DAYS OF THE DEAD Chicago 2013 Convention Coverage Special - Afterthoughts


If you couldn't tell by listening to the show or following our social media; we had a fantastic time at Days of the Dead Chicago a few weekends ago. So you already know why we had a great time at this particular one. Previously I wrote about conventions in general and why so many people love them so deeply. So you already know that also.

Here, I want to talk about why Days of the Dead made that Chicago weekend great and why they are a catalyst for the enjoyment in horror convention going for so many. Days of the Dead (DOTD) is a convention that pays mind to the reasons why people love conventions. Now I am not a convention expert by any stretch of the imagination. Hell just in comparison with the other hosts on this show I haven't attended the most or the first. However, I have been to enough now to understand and appreciate what DOTD is accomplishing.

There are other conventions I have been to that were less than savory experiences. I will not mention any names because that serves no purpose here. This is more about what DOTD is doing right, than what others aren't. At these other conventions I am herded like cattle through oversold crowds. Routinely I get screwed out of something advertised because they did not specify things like "only signing X number of autographs that day". Luckily that particular time I had only driven more than an hour away, made plans to stay all weekend, paid entry before this was made clear. No big deal! I mean really think about that and let it marinate for a second. Thousands there that day were denied something that they had spent tons of money just to get there to experience. Many who had traveled much farther than me. None of that mattered though because there needed to be most of the day reserved for more profitable photo-ops and panels and other PR marketing photo moments for their branding purposes. Look, all those reasons to not have the person there for the fans is understandable; just announce it early on. I was denied my chance with only ten people ahead of me at the cutoff at 11am. Seriously, that is when the doors were supposed to open to the public. So what about all of the people who spent extra money for early entry? Who cares? is evidently that answer. So many other instances like this continue to happen where we realize the customer is no longer a concern. When you are making money hand over fist why worry about taking care of those that made it so profitable?

Luckily for the dedicated horror fans of America you have 4 chances around the country to enjoy how Days of the Dead treats their fans. With shows in Chicago, Indianapolis, Atlanta, and Los Angeles there is a chance for many to do just that. The crowds are always present but not painfully crowded and they are well controlled. The celebrity guests and fans are always pleasant because everyone is being taken care of with respect. The guests are great and varied but they are also not trendy which is nice for the fans who are there for a horror convention as opposed to a "what's hot right now" convention. DOTD is always organized well which attracts solid volunteers wanting to help (including myself this past summer which was a great experience) because they know they can help maintain a good thing. That makes a HUGE difference. 

I can say definitively, that from all aspects of attending their conventions, Days of the Dead genuinely listens to and cares about their patrons. Undecided for some reason? Go look at their social media and skim through to see their interaction with fans that help mold the decisions they make. It is literally right there to see if you are interested. Even before I have walked through the entrance I am already happy knowing that I am not going to have to pay an additional 30, 40, 50, 100 or more dollars to take a picture with people. This is because they do not do photo-ops because the majority of responsive fans said they did not want it. Obviously, they cannot personalize everything for every attendee but man it's close. 

I assure you I have nothing to gain by writing this or any agenda to squeeze in for anyone. I simply strive to turn some new people on to this convention and also to enjoy the rare positive opportunity to tell others about a business. If you want a family feel to your convention and your dollar appreciated; seek out a Days of the Dead show. I promise you will not be disappointed.
   

   

   

If you would like to see our pictures please check Facebook as we should have them up there soon. Thanks for listening and we hope to see many of you at conventions in the future!

Beware of the moon
The Professor

No comments:

Post a Comment